Selling your home can be made much easier by updating the exterior and landscaping around your home. Curb appeal is as much of a selling factor as is price and interior of the home. When a potential client arrives at your home the first impression is made by what they see on the outside. Many people will have a preconception of your home based on that first impression, which is why it is so important to make that impression count.
Working with your real estate representative you can make simple and cost-effective changes to your home which will give it great curb appeal. There are several minor changes you can make that will pay off greatly.
• Take an honest look at the exterior of your home. Does it need refreshing? You may be able to have a pressure cleaning performed to enhance the appearance. If the cleaning does not work, a coat of paint should be applied.
• Is your front door attractive? Something as simple as changing the color of your door may make the home more eye appealing.
• Are your gutters and roof clean? Excessive debris from nearby trees may cause the home to look shabby.
• Change any hardware (knobs, kick plates) that can be seen from the road.
• If the home has siding, make sure that all pieces are secured well and free of cracks and debris. If there are any notable problems replace promptly.
• Sweep door stoops and lay down a welcome mat. Creating a welcoming environment makes the potential buyer feel more comfortable when entering the home.
• Homes that have shutters should make sure that shutters are in good repair.
• Make sure your lawn is kept well manicured.
• Trim and trees or hedges so that they look attractive.
• Weed flower beds and plant low maintenance flowers and shrubs.
• Replace any outdoor lighting that looks worn, needs bulbs or is broken
• Clean walkways, power wash if stained, and make sure driveway is free of debris.
• Make sure any space that is being used for outside storage is emptied and cleaned.
These are just a few of many tips that can help you increase the curb appeal of your home. When you decide to sell your home your real estate representative can work with you on an individual basis to help your home look its best, and make a great first impression.